MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 03:23 AM   #1
Red514LX
Registered Member

Question How many hours of sleep do you get/need per night?

I need a good 9-11 hours per night to feel completely rested for the next day. Right now I get that but during school I get perhaps only 6 hours on average.

If I sleep 8 hours per night, I can go on like this indefinitely. If I get any less than this, I will burnout and need a "recharge".

What about the rest of you?

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang Coupe
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 06:18 AM   #2
TJR
Registered Member

I'm not sure how many hours of sleep I need. Actually, I don't remember the last time I woke up feeling completely refreshed. Last night I got about 5 hours of sleep, which I don't think is enough.

------------------
1989 lx notch
89,000 miles
bolt-ons,stock heads/cam
60'- 2.07, 8.90@78, 13.93@99
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:44 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

sleep? whats that? i work 3rd shift so a full 8 hours of sleep is rare. its more like 4 here, 1 there, and another 2 over there somewhere. u try sleeping when the sun is beating in through your windows, and the kid next door is yelling all damn day!!!!

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:53 AM   #4
Coupe Devil

Sleep is just a nasty habit. I would like to get about 23 hpours a day but since that ain't gonna happen. I usually get 5 to 6 hours a day. I wouldn't sleep that much but my job actually requires thinking. I wish it didn't, physcally I'm fine with no sleep but mentally I'm drained. I wish I could stay up all night working on cars, but I dont think the neighbors would like that to much.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). Motor and tranny in use for Ranger project.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:38 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Thanks to my Job schedule, I go to sleep at 4:00-4:30 in the morning, and usually wake up at 9:30 on weekdays.

During weekends, I sleep in till 10:00-10:30. I feel groggy sometimes, but most of the time I feel pretty refreshed. Unless I had a bad night at work.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:56 AM   #6
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

I like to get 9 hours, but that usually doesn't happen. If I get under 7.5 hours for a week straight, I will start to not feel as good and be less energetic.

I love sleeping in late on weekends though! Well weekends where I don't have to work. This weekend (fri,sat,sun) I worked on friday night and then 2 doubles on sat & sun for a total of 36 hours, so I was pretty damn tired.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:19 PM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

i get about 5-6 hours a night sleep, then 1 more at work on my breaks.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:57 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

About 7 hours per night on average, sometimes 6 but never more than 8.

Any less than six hours of rack-time and I'm below par all day, more than eight and I'm physically charged but mentally groggy for hours.

Need for sleep varies with the individual and what is too much for one is not enough for another. I believe 7 to 8 hours is about the average amount of sleep most people need to be 100%.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 02:12 PM   #9
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I rarely get less than 8 hours, I can't function with less, I try to keep it to less than 9 hours though. I also find that I'm much more alert if I don't have to wake up to an alarm.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 02:21 PM   #10
dinomite
The Dude

An adult needs about 8.5 hours of sleep a night. I am a strong believer in the "sleep debt" theory, which is that when you get less than your required amount of sleep, if just builds up as a debt (to a point). I tried it during the school year (high school) last year. For the first 5 months of the year, i had gone to bed at 12 or 1, and woke up at 630. i started going to bed at 10-11 (eek!). one day after a few months of that, i got up and was COMPLETELY refreshed, and the rest of the day, was just fine, and i didn't feel the slightest need to sleep till midnight that night. Try that, it takes a few months of getting to sleep early, but then you feel great.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 03:23 PM   #11
StangFlyer
Founder

Unhappy

It's a cold day in hell when I actually get a real, full eight hours of sleep usually. I typically don't get to sleep until 2 AM or later most of the time and I get up at 8 AM for work. So, I probably average 6 hours (maybe), and I'm tired all the time during the day. But, then at night I wake back up for whatever reason and I'm fine until I do it all again.

I've always had a third shifters clock though, so I guess that's why. Any time I haven't had to work for any length of time and hold a day schedule I revert back to sleeping all day and staying up all night in a short period of time.

------------------
Dan McClain, Editor
The Mustang Works Magazine
1991 Mustang GT - NOVI Supercharged 377 Stroker
1999 Ford Lightning SVT - 2000 Prototype updated by Roush

StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:08 PM   #12
ronny50
Registered Member

I Like to get 8 hours a night.

Unless I am getting up to work on my stang, then for some reason I only need about 4-5.

------------------
1990 GT 5k Original miles!!
Ripper,Pullies,73 MM C&l Mass Air,8mm Wires,Piaa Headlights,MAC Cold Air (Fender)
ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:49 PM   #13
LS1JAY
Registered Member

I have been getting 6-7 hrs per night as an average for over 13yrs! I can never seem to sleep past 6:30 but shure would like to, I don't think I ever wake up and feel rested, and I am only 30yrs old, guess I'll have to wait till I retire in another 30yrs or so!

------------------
98'Trans Am LS1 A4 273 gears. Whisper lid,Whisper MAF ends,K&N,Flowmaster,Best ET on street tires 13.17 @ 106.49mph
NEW MODS:3" Flowtech cutout,Magnecor wires,NGK TR55's,180 thermostat.
LS1JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 06:31 PM   #14
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

I tryed somethinf last night that made me have the best sleep of my life up until now and probly ever (dont laugh) YOGA ohhhh buddy its the best give it a try rent a tape and get ready....

------------------
My First Stang
No Substitute For Cubic Inches!

BURN EM UP
gcdrumboy@yahoo.com

5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:02 PM   #15
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

i usually get like 6 hours a night and then sleep like 8-10 hours on weekends.this seems to do me just fine ...usually get up refreshed.

i've heard it said that if you sleep in a deeper sleep you will need less of it.one technic for getting a deeper sleep is to sleep at the same times every day....i notice if the times i sleep change then i feel more tired and groggy in the morning.if i go to bed at the same times ,i go right to sleep and sleep better,deeper.i also try to make my enviroment better for sleep---comfertable bed ---the right temp--ect.that helps me sleep better there for i need less sleep

and as wierd as it sounds i agree with 302 blownpony...yoga can help....i knew a girl that taught me a couple of tricks for ensomnia....she said it was basic yoga stuff...remembered the yoga stuff more than the girl and still use the relaxation technics when i can't get to sleep....puts me right out

------------------
old guy with 87 gt....well not so old guy
87gt,T top -155,000 on odometer-mods-2 1/2 ex,cold air(home made),adj.clutch 5.0 shifter,kyb shocks,and a stereo that can overcome the wind noise at 100 mph with the T tops off(he he)......also got/78,6banger,mustang/80 capri(future project)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:01 PM   #16
Tod
Registered Member

with the combination of my job requiring me to get up at 6:30am, and me spending each night out with my friends, and with me never being able to actually GO TO SLEEP until about 1, then tossing and turning and waking up on average 3 times a night; a full hard 4 1/2-5 hours of good sleep is rare. and working in the field of construction doesn't usually go peachy with that much sleep, or lack thereof. i do all my catching up on fridat nights and usually sleep till about 10;30am or at times even 11. i get ansy(sp?) any later than that because i don't want to miss the whole day because i'm in bed. it's a curse.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:22 PM   #17
69fastback
IRAQ VET

How much sleep i get all depends on when the army tells me i have to be at work most of the time it is 600 am for pt. Wich is no big deal but it is the days when i have to be at work at 300am for something and then work all day with no breaks that really kills me. I have no set time of when i go to bed either it seems like I fall asleep at a different time everynight.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:52 PM   #18
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Question

SLEEP?
Yeah, i've heard of that, although something I dont expierience much on a regular basis. I'm lucky to get to bed by 1 or 2 am.Sometimes even later. get up between 6-7. If I get to "sleep in" I get up about 8ish. Of corse if I stayed of the P.C. a little more, I'd be in bed alot earlier!!

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:47 AM   #19
dinomite
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by old guy with 87 gt:
i've heard it said that if you sleep in a deeper sleep you will need less of it.one technic for getting a deeper sleep is to sleep at the same times every day....i notice if the times i sleep change then i feel more tired and groggy in the morning.if i go to bed at the same times ,i go right to sleep and sleep better,deeper.
what you are getting at is whats called Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep which is actually when you become refreshed. This happens about 1 hour into sleep (i believe it is the 6th stage) the first time, lasts for 10 odd minutes, then happens again 45 min later and continues on and off every 45 min - 1 hour. You may notice that naps make you feel more refreshed, and this is because you enter the REM starge more quickly. there is a period of time (night) when you are predisposed to sleep, and will benefit from it more. its late, i'll research this tomorrow, as i haven't been compltely clear in this discussion and i need.......SLEEP!
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 01:32 AM   #20
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Isnt REM also the stage at which you begin to dream?
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote