MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-17-2001, 09:35 AM   #1
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Question Installing 5.0 in a 4cyl frame

Hey guys, i crashed my 5.0 yesterday and its not worth fixing. The good part is, is that the engine and transmission are in perfect condition. I was just thinking about finding an old 4cyl stang and putting in the 5.0 engine and t-5 tranny. what do you guys think of this? Are these things compatable? What would I have to buy for the 4cyl if i can just instal the rear end on my GT and the engine and tranny? How much do you think this could cost not including the cost of the car? Note: My dad is an ASE certified Master Mechanic, so i don't have to worry about Labor and he works for Ford so i can get parts for cost. Thanks for sticken with my guys, i really apprecieate it because im going through hard times. Thanks everyone!!!

Pxcr_600
Old 11-17-2001, 11:59 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If he works for Ford, you should be able to get their bodyguy to come out and take a peek at the car for a beer or something. Just to give you an idea.

Now, onto your question. 1979-1993 4bangers and V-6's should have the mounting holes to drop the 5.0L into the K member from the factory. NOT the I-6 cars. They are totally different. The tranny should go fine into a 4banger car as well. I HIGHLY recommend getting a 4banger with the 5spd already in it. I think the 5spd came out in like 1987 in the 4cyl. That 5spd is the borg warner T-5 manual, just like your 5.0L. It won't bolt up properly to a 5.0L, but most of the setup should already be there. That makes quadrent swaps and all that junk a no problem operation. The rear end in your car is only marginally better than a 4banger. Both are the 7.5" setup. The 8.8" rear end debuted in the 1986GT. You have a perfect donor car to take wiring and vacuum stuff from, so that's a good thing. If you go with a carbed older than 1987 4 banger, you'll have an easier time setting up the instrament cluster, but probably more work on the clutch system.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Default Think it is a good idea?

Hey do you think that it is a good idea to start over with a 4cyl? And drop in the 5.0L?? Or should i just start over with a new car?
Old 11-17-2001, 02:55 PM   #4
Idhomustang
Registered Member

Thumbs up 56571

Like our fellow Mustangers stated the 4 Cyl car is a good choice for an engine swap and should been done as soon as you have enough scrap to make the swap.
A long with the items you mention you will need multiple small aprts off of your old car, exhaust brakets, brake lines,the trans braket is also different,etc.etc.
I just did this spring and was glad I had the old car, brakes are different as well, so you will end up swapping out the front disc's to the v-8 car stuff, the sway bar is lighter and the springs are also lighter, whcih is cool if you plan on drag racing the car otherwise swap in the v-8 stuff.

Mac
XE 284H Xtr-Com cam,
240-246 @.050,
540-544,
M/T Et streets,
Mac Upper and Lower, Control Arms,
3:73 US Gear,Mini Spool,
Eagle Long rods,
Mac Windage tray,
KB Pistons,
Scat crank,
4000 rpm stall convertor,
C-4 trans,
Airflow Research 185cc,
Hooker long tubes 3", exhaust,
S&W 6 point roll cage,
11.2 at 121 mph.
Idhomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 04:50 PM   #5
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Default yep

yeah i want to use as much stuff of my GT as i can. I want to take the seats off and put them in. How much did you spend total doing this not including the cost of the car? And not including labor?
Old 11-18-2001, 06:47 PM   #6
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Hey man I am in the process of helping my buddy do that right now. He picked up a running 4cyl hatch with an absolutely perfect body(not one dent!!!) that just needs paint for 600 bucks. He had a 93 gt with a cobra motor and tremec tranny. The easiest way(I think its the easiest anyway), is to find a place with two lifts, and drop the complete subframes out of each car, tires and all. Leave the tranny and motor bolted up. Do that to both cars, put a jack under the tailshaft of the trannys, move the 4cyl out of the way, and roll the v8 into position. drop the car down, line up the holes and its on there. The only part I am dreading is wiring it up, I hate doing that crap. I hope this helps you man, good luck
John
Old 11-19-2001, 02:39 PM   #7
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

as long as you still have the GT you would have no problem doing the swap..stuff you will need from your GT will include
*engine,tranny,rear,radiator,mtr mounts
*computer and engine wiring harness
*front spindle/brake assmebly
*clutch pedal assmeble and gas pedal(if new car isnt stick)
*brakebooster and master cylinder
*fuel lines
*springs, shocks, and quad brackets along with quadshocks
*crossmember
*gauge cluster
*dash harness depneding on what years the cars are..87-89 are same, and 90-93 are the same..if you want your ALL your gauges to work(ie oil pressure and watertemp) then you will need to mate the coresponding years of engine computer harness with dash harness OR you could just hack it up a lil to make it work
*rubber snubber that the 8.8 hits b4 it bottoms out

you will need to remove the crossmenber brackts that the 4 banger used..all 87-93 fow body's have v-8 crossmeber brackets welded into frame..the 4 bngers have and extra bracket bolted in that need to be removed..no big deal..i did the swaps b4..any q's just post em or email me

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote