MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
gramsch
Registered Member

Question Gauge Install Problems

Help please!!! I am not the smartest when it comes to electronics. I am hooking up my new gauges and want the lights on the gauges to come on with the normal instrument lights and dim with them also. I don't know where to hook up the positive power wire from the gauge to make this happen.

------------------
Michael "Deke" Gramsch
87'GT - Oxford White (soon to be vermillion red)
MSD 6AL ignition and coil, 65mm FMS throttle body, K&N filter, Accel Pro Billet Distributor, Fluidyne Radiator and Blue Hose Kit, Long Tube Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, MAC Shifter, Weld Draglites, 190 LPH Fuel Pump, ADJ Fuel Pressure Regulator & Fuel Pressure Gauge, and some other odds & ends.
gramsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 07:54 PM   #2
Chris_H
Registered Member

Assuming most aftermarket gauges are the same, I hooke my Autometer gauges up to my dash light wires. Just spliced them in behind the fuse box. As far as your power wire goes, I believe you just tap that into a 12v source that is hot when the key is in the "ON" position. Not sure exactly what color the wires are, but I just traced them in my Haynes manual. Fairly easy to do. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 02:26 PM   #3
quick89gt
Registered Member

No, you are correct. To get the lights to come on when you turn your parking or headlights on, you just have to use a tester and test to find which wire is hot when you turn your headlight switch on. Then. You also need a wire to go into your ignition switch wire. That will only send power to the gauge when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position. I believe there is a drawing of that wire on the diagram that came with your guages. I don't know if you can get them to dim when you dim your other lights...i really wouldn't worry about that. Other than those two wires...all you have is a wire that you have to ground and then that's that.

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Bored .030 Over, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Keith Black hyp. flat top Pistons, Screamin' Deamon Coil, Champion Plugs, March Underdrive Pulleys, 255lph Fuel Pump, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #4
RUSTANG
Registered Member

Don't know if this will help or not but in 85 the dash ilumination wire is light blue with a red stripe and the power wire for the dash is red with a black stripe. Try looking for those wires first. The colors may be the same.
RUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote