MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-19-2002, 01:08 AM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Some questions for all you S/C guys

Alright, I'm looking to go the Route of S/C. Couple questions for anyone who has done this or knows about it. I'm thinking of a powerdyne 9psi kit. First off, does anyone know where I could find one of these? I could only find a 6psi kit in jegs. Next question, would this work with my stock motor? The powerdyne says it works good, but would work better with free'er flowing heads and intake, throttle body and such. It said on the powerdyne site that the 9psi kit comes with an in-tank 155 l/hr pump. So i'm looking at either the 6psi or 9psi kit. Does anyone know if both of these are street legal? And what kinda mods would i be looking to do to get the best preformance out of it? thanks alot
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 02:54 AM   #2
Mustanguy

Powerdynes have a bad history of internal belts breaking,I'm advising you to look at another supercharger such as

*Vortech-proven very reliable with their gear-drive system

*Paxton-the Novi 1000 is their entry levl blower,gear driven

*Kenne Bell 1500, or the Blowzilla
Old 03-19-2002, 05:16 AM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

I am a ex-supercharged guy so here is my .02
I would not get the powerdyne. You can find the A-trims for just as cheap or cheaper and get a better blower out of the deal.
The kennebell's are the best for the street IMO. You get the power off idle and you can run a low gear like 3.55's and a streetable auto.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
drudis

You're starting the which supercharger thread again...

I picked the S-trim, cause the A-trim wasnt gonna be enough. That, and the fact that I see many of the S-trims on roadrace cars where they beat on these for 20-25 MINUTES (not 11 seconds) at a time!!! THATS DURABILITY!
Thats why my opentrack car got the S-trim and 3 years later, never a problem.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

Well what do you guys recommend I should go for with boost? Yeah, I am gonna be putting some 3.55's in there so anything that would run good. Alright, One big question is, what other mods would i hafto make to my engine? it's completely stock as of now?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 03-19-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
drudis

Thats the beauty of the S-trim "kit". You dont NEEEEEED nothin' else.
I installed mine on a totally stock motor with 19K miles on it. Granted, I upgraded to 30# injectors and 80mm MAF reprogrammed for custom chip (to avoid the FMU), but that was something I "wanted" not needed.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:37 AM   #7
Rosco
Registered Member

Who makes the S-Trims, and how much am I looking to pay for one? Also, for the installation of it, Think it could be a job I could do myself? Or is it something I should leave to a real mechanic? Also, what kind of power gains would I be looking at getting from it on my stock motor? And one last thing, my car has 109k on it...Think I'd have any problems??
Old 03-19-2002, 11:43 AM   #8
drudis

Go thru www.alternativeauto.com (Metro-Detroit area).

EXCELLENT customer support (maybe not the best price but definitely will answer your questions and work with ya). They opened their box and pulled out the FMU I didnt want and gave me credit for it, right on the spot!

Looking at about 45% increase. So if you are at 200+ rwhp, you'll end up at a wee bit over 300. Mine was 330rwhp with a few minor mods.

NOW I am shooting for a weeeeee bit more (ok 450-500 range).
Old 03-19-2002, 11:47 AM   #9
Rosco
Registered Member

Oh, 1 more thing. I'm looking at something would gimme some good power, and that's known to hold up, but I don't really want to spend a Ton of money. thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #10
ArtMan
Registered Member

Default Horsepower = Money

What's a ton of money? If you're considering a reliable supercharger, think $3,200 (installation extra).

You will have to upgrade stock injectors with the S-trim. Everything else is included in the Vortech kit. The S-trim kit on a stock engine will provide about 9 psi.

Get knowledgable help if installing the kit yourself. many of us here are Vortech owners so you can post questions whenever you need to.

Good Luck
Rice Hater's Club Member #225
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 09:11 PM   #11
Rosco
Registered Member

Alright, I was loooking at http://www.alternativeauto.com/ at they have a A-Trim S/C for $1799 and then there is a 5.0 HO one..I am thinking this one is the 9psi? It's listed at $2995. There's also a A-Trim to S-Trim Conversion for $697. Then there is also a HO upgrade kit to move it from 5psi to 8psi. that's like $685. What's the differences between those? And If i could get the A-Trim then do the S-Trim conversion...would it basically be the same thing as if i bought the S-Trim? I'm thinking the most i'd spend on one is $3k...A little lower if i could.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:57 PM   #12
ArtMan
Registered Member

Thumbs up From Vortech

The H.O. kit is the S-trim kit (same thing). When you buy the S-trim kit you get alot of goodies you don't with the A-trim kit. The A-trim kit + $685 upgrade is not equal to the S-trim kit - you still would have to buy more stuff to equal the S-trim kit.

The S-trim kit includes high flow in-line pump, MSD unit, and I think a reversion valve. Visit www.vortechsuperchargers.com for full list.

Procharger also offers a great 9 psi kit about in your price range too, just to complicate matters.
Rice Hater's Club Member #225
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #13
Rosco
Registered Member

Well actually as of right now, I'd be looking to put one in next summer...And i just wanna do some research and get some opinions before hand. Which I figured is the best to make a good plan.