MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Default Dog Question!

Ok Here's my situation. My parents just got a divorce and I am staying with my mom in an apartment with two dogs. One belongs to me and the other belongs to my dad. After he takes his dog I plan on buying another since I love dogs and our lease says we can have two dogs.
My question is Has anybody owned a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or know of anyone who has??? If so what was their temperment like, are they good with kids, good with other dogs?
I just want to get input from someone who has had experience with them. I plan to buy from a private breeder.
Here are some pics of the breed:

Last edited by OnMy3rdStang; 04-10-2002 at 02:04 PM..
OnMy3rdStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:58 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

I had a buddy that used to ahve a dog that "Looked" liek one of those in the first link. It was a great dog, good with people, not sure about kids though, werent any around it at the time. pretty good and ative temperment. All around a good dog in my opinion. I am sure there are others that have more input though.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

nothing came on - get a rotty they are the best ever.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:47 PM   #4
George46
Registered Member

My uncle had one.

These are great dogs, very smart and well tempered. they are exceptionally well with kids, they are actually called the nanny dogs because they are so good with children.

They're not exceptionally well with other dogs, unless raised around them from a young age, exspecially other dogs of the same sex.

Theyre also very protective of their family.

My uncle had to get rid of his dog because the neighbors pit bull jumped the fence and got in a fight with it and since then all it wanted to do was fight with other dogs. before that it was real friendly with other dogs. guess he found out how much fun it was to kick a pit bulls butt.

Theyre awesome dogs though and I would love to have one, but for a purebreed from a decent breeder your looking to pay atleast 800 bucks for one.

heres a pretty good site with alot of info on them

http://www.staffordmall.com/
George46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:51 PM   #5
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

The real name of the Pit Bull is the American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier. I don't know if they are the same dog, but judging by the name I'd say they're closely related. You may want to research it some. I am in agreement with Crazyhorse on this one.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
one
Registered Member

The American Staffordshire is a little bit different then the staffordshire bull terrier. The American gets a little bit bigger in hieght and weight. The staffy stays pretty small so it just depends on what you want. They are both part of the bull dog breed and share the same temperments of American Bull dogs, and Pit Bulls. So you will get a great dog with lots of drive to play ball and be active, but they are very protective of their space and do not like other dogs. So if you get one take him/her around lots of nice dogs as a pup so you don't have a problem. But like the guy posted earlier, if you have one bad miss hap, you will have a dog aggressive dog that you have to keep an eye on. Same can happen with the dog that you have right now. If he/she sees a new pup come into the family he may want to show he/ she is the dominate one so he will dominate the little pup which will make the pup either a nervous dog as he gets older or he/she will not like other dogs. So just keep your eye on them and try to keep them seperated until the pup gets a little older. But really they are awesome dogs to have, just have to use your head when you are raising them so you don't have any troubles later on in their lifes.

One
Old 04-10-2002, 06:35 PM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

My older dog is a 13 year old Austrailian terrier. I like Rottwielers too but I cant have a dog that big where I live at. Speaking of rotts, a friend of mine has a full blooded rott and he is 1 1/2 years old and is only about 70 lbs and he is barley knee high...Could he be a runt??? Well he is perfect for her apartment!

I have alot of spare time to have another dog and I have socialized past dogs I owned with children, other people and other dogs from puppyhood.
Thanks for all of your replies I'll have to look more into the breed before I buy.
Thanx!!!