MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
plunk
Registered Member

Default How much Boost on Stock Motor?

I have a question. I have a 94 Cobra that is stock other than underdrive pulleys, FLowmaster mufflers, and a K and N filter. I just bought the car so i don't have money. THis summer i was going to add a 3.73 gear March Ram Air and Short Throw. My winter project is going to be Long Tube Headers and an H-pipe also a 6 psi Powerdyne Supercharger. The engine has 63,400 miles on it. I was wondering if the engine could handle the 6 lbs of boost. I know some people are running 9 to 11 on 5.0 engine but i'd prefer to not brake anything. Do you think i can run that much boost? Also what kind of plugs and wires should i put in for the Supercharger?
plunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

You can run 6 lbs easily (hope you don't see this PKRWUD) . You just need to upgarde your injectors and fuel pump. You could probably get away without them on 6 lbs, but you want to be safe and not break anything, so better safe than sorry.

Most guys usually run 2 heat ranges colder than stock on the plugs. Can't remember the number off the top of my head. And autolite plugs will do just fine.

As far as plug wires, MSD and Accel both make pretty good sets for our cars.

Last edited by 91GTturbo; 05-10-2002 at 07:25 PM..
91GTturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Hehehe, I'm just replying to agree with 91GTturbo. While he and I sometimes differ in opinions regarding what is safe and practical when it comes to boost, this time I am in complete agreement.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:22 PM   #4
1995MGTS
Registered Member

I have a friend who ran a 6lb Powerdyne on his 95 Cobra up to 75,000 miles without a problem. He recently got a good deal on a DSS 306 and put that in. His only mods other than the 6lb Powerdyne were a 75mm maf, shorty headers, X-pipe w/cats, cat-back, and custom chip. He made 361.2rwhp/362.3rwtq at the wheels. Ran a 12.9@110 on street tires. You might make more with the long-tubes though. Good luck.
2003 Redfire Cobra #5978 of 8394
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
-Lightning pulley w/Afterburner
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
1995MGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Mustanguy

Arrow Stay away from Powerdyne

I must take it upon myself to warn you,to please consider other manufacturer's such as Vortech,Paxton,etc..Powerdyne blowers have a bad history of their internal belts breaking,even in low boost applications,it's not a matter of if the belt will break,it's a matter of when,so please look around before you make that purchase.

As far as injectors with 6lbs of boost,you wont need to change them,they will be fine,especially with the FMU that will most likely be included in the kit you end up buying.Changing the fuel pump is a good idea,but know that you will be fine running the stock pump.When you do replace the fuel pump,put in the biggest pump you can get,that way you should never have to take the gas tank down again when you get greedy and wanna turn up the boost.

spark plugs...go with a step or 2 cooler as this allows more heat to be transfered to the head,keeping the plug cooler and reducing the chance of the dreaded detonation.Also close your gap as well,as the flame tends to get blown out with the wider gap.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:19 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Default Re: Stay away from Powerdyne

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustanguy
I must take it upon myself to warn you,to please consider other manufacturer's such as Vortech,Paxton,etc..Powerdyne blowers have a bad history of their internal belts breaking,even in low boost applications,it's not a matter of if the belt will break,it's a matter of when,so please look around before you make that purchase.
I'm a little bit upset with myself for not catching that mention in the original post. Mustanguy is 100% correct, though; avoid Powerdyne at all costs. Not only do their products suck, but so does their customer service. Their product will fail, and they won't lift a finger to help you, let alone replace any parts.

If you're into self-abuse, Powerdyne is the way to go, but if you at least care about your car, consider Vortech or Paxton. Besides, those two companies are both located where I live, and our county needs your money!

Avoid Powerdyne. Really.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 05:54 AM   #7
1995MGTS
Registered Member

Powerdyne does have a bad reputation with their blowers. It seems they don't have much in the area of quality control. Meaning, it seems some of their blowers last while others break with relatively few miles on them and then continue to break over time for whatever reason.

However, with that being said, I normally don't recommend the BD-11A Powerdyne not because of its history but because of its growth potential. There really isn't any. 9psi is the max of the blower. Someone may run a bit more that but they will be out of the efficieny range for it and really putting the durability at risk. I am following a local racer with the new gear driven Powerdyne, the XB-1. He was recently on the dyno before me and made some really good numbers untuned. That is the best way for me to go since the head unit bolts right into my existing brackets. I would say if someone had the money to buy a new kit, why not just buy the proven S-trim for the same cost.

Now, my friend with the Powerdyne has over 50,000 miles without a problem. I have over 4000 miles, 39 dyno runs, about a dozen quarter mile passes without as much as a hiccup. Maybe ours were built on a Wednesday. They do break but the fix is not that expensive anymore and the internal belts and bearing can be bought for $100 and installed in your garage.

All I can say though is listen to those people who have experience with the blower. To many people read about Pd's and then comment that they suck when in reality they have never used the product. That happens with a lot of products actually. I have also never had a problem with their customer service though that could be because I have yet to have a problem with their blower. I suppose the attitude could change the moment my blower needs some fixing. They have replaced a part under warranty without any questions asked and in a timely manner though. Anyway, it's good to know the history of Pd so you can make up your mind and know that the possibility of internal belt breakage is there but the flip side of the coin is that they can last and do make decent power (see my sig) for a little blower.
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE

Last edited by 1995MGTS; 05-11-2002 at 07:33 AM..
Old 05-11-2002, 11:09 AM   #8
plunk
Registered Member

wow thanks, i just picked powerdyne becuase it was the only one that had Supercharger for my car that wasn't like 11 pSI. Do Vortech or Paxton make a 5-6 PSI System i might of over looked?
Old 05-11-2002, 12:05 PM   #9
1995MGTS
Registered Member

Plunk,

The stock S-trim is pullied for 6-8psi. As far as centrifugals go, there isn't much in terms of an entry level blower for our 94-95GT/Cobra's. The only reason I went with Powerdyne was the price. A Ford Motorsport dealer offered it to me for $1800 brand new. I couldn't pass up the deal. I have been lucky though and have had some success with it. Another option is the non-intercooled P1SC from Procharger. It was about $400 more than the Pd I got but is a 1200cfm capable blower but I hear it can be a pain to install. As with all superchargers though, there is good and bad with every product. Just keep doing research on sites like the Corral and Stangnet. They have some really good info. Look under product review (power adders) on the Stangnet and there are reviews for just about every supercharger out there.

I was just curious about the Powerdyne since that has become the subject here and there were 24 post about the BD-11A, 19 good, 5 bad. I say 5 bad because that's how many had broken internal belts but a couple of them still liked the supercharger I don't think I would be to happy with a failing blower. Anyway, again, good luck.
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
Old 05-13-2002, 12:56 PM   #10
USMC302
Registered Member

As you can see in the sig, our 95GT has 20k miles on it and has 5lbs of boost provided by Vortech. It came with an external 155lph pump, ajustable boost timing and the FMU. I don't think I have a lick of fuel but do think I need to go with the cooler plugs and smaller gap though, there is hella power from idle to about 4000 RPM's but after that she bogs down. I don't know.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:06 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I can't believe anyone hasn't suggested a Paxton Novi 1000.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #12
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Why not look into positive displacement supercharges like eaton or kennie bell. If you are looking for a good street supercharger these are hard to beat.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #13
plunk
Registered Member

i'll look into Eaton BLowers. I am just looking for one that is going to provide low enough boost that it won't hurt anything. I don't want to have to replace internals and i heard 5-6#'s is a safe number but i came here to be sure. My friend says thatit will blow my motor apart.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:32 PM   #14
1995MGTS
Registered Member

USMC302,

I am going to assume you have an S-trim since it's on a 94GT. I thought they were rated at 6-8psi and you should be seeing at least that on a stock car. The intake tube on the Vortech's are known for being a big restrictor on the 94-95 GT's. A powerpipe should open up that restriction, making it a bit more efficient, and you might just gain a bit of boost. I see 9psi@6000 with a 6lb pulley, 7" crank pulley, and powerpipe. I do have a Powerdyne however and they are known for not making their advertised boost, even on a stock car.

I would gap your plugs to something like .032-.035. Mine are at .035 and it seems to work well. Good luck.
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
Old 05-13-2002, 03:33 PM   #15
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs up

A roots style blower is about as safe as you can get, with real good power. Hence Lightning, new Cobra.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:44 PM   #16
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Smile

How about the fastest supercharger on the market. Doesn't pro-charger have an adjustable 7-9 psi? I like everything I've heard about Pro Charger super chargers.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote