MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Steering Rack

Alright, I'm wondering if anyone has ever replaced one of these? I need to replace mine ASAP as my passenger side boot is leaking dramatically. I was wondering if anyone has ever run into any problems, or has any tips or suggestions on what i should do about it. I've already gotten a price of $450.95 for parts, labor, and an alignment. Right now I'm not going to be able to pay for that, so i'm looking to do a home project Oh, and if anyone knows where I could find a new one for less then $199.99 I would appreciate knowing where to go thanks alot everyone
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:50 PM   #2
Rosco
Registered Member

Anyone at all have any info about this? I found my leak is coming from the passenger side bellow. What i've been told by shops is that they would replace the whole R&P. I am thinking, what else could it be inside of there? And do you think replacing the seals might fix it?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
jesys
Registered Member

Post Re: Steering Rack

I had to replace my rack and pinion unit just a month or two ago, as it locked up on me while I was driving,a nd forced me off the road. I am not the greatest with mechanical work, but I was able to do it without too much problem, with the help of my dad. It's not too hard to figure out, but we had a hard time actually removing the unit once it was loosened. The bolts holding it on were hard to get out because the sway bar was in the way, and we had to pry the unit out. Getting the new one on, however, was not too bad of a job. If I remember correctly, the whole process took a couple of hours, and that included the installation of a new power steering pump.

I purchased the rack and pinion unit remanufactured from Autozone for $199, with a $100 refund upon exchange of the old one.

I hope this is of some help to you.

-jeSYS
jesys is offline   Reply With Quote