MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 06:53 PM   #1
sigep473
Registered Member

Angry Speedometer problems

I have been having problems with my speedometer bouncing from time to time. When I bought the car the speedometer did not work at all, I put a new gear in the trans, and ended up with another cluster to get it going. Now I decided to put a new cable in to hopefully cure the bouncing needle problem and it doesn't work at all. Like I said the car has a new trans gear, cable and a different cluster. Is there something that I missed, all that I can think that is left is that I have two bad clusters. Is that possible? One last thing, it seems that the cable turns properly without the cluster in, I have driven the car and watched the cable move slower and faster as speeds increased and decreased. Any help would be greatly appreciated, at the moment I am clueless. Thanks, Robb
Old 08-22-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

There supposed to be a gear in the back of the cluster. You probably have good clusters, but they may not have come with the speedo driven gear. Check the back of the cluster and make sure u ahve a gear back there.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
sigep473
Registered Member

I believe that the gears are ok in the speedometer itself, but I may be mistaken. What should I look for?
Old 08-23-2002, 07:38 AM   #4
rppngears
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem as you. I am thinking about whether it's worth it to replace my cluster now or not. How much did your's go for and where did you get it?
Old 08-23-2002, 09:13 AM   #5
sigep473
Registered Member

I got the second cluster off of ebay for about $90 last year, if you play it right you can get a good deal. I have seen them go for aot higher though. I still haven't gotten the stupid thing working though. At least before I put the cable in it would only jump a little, now it doesn't register at all and the speedometer is making a ton of noise.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:35 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by sigep473
I got the second cluster off of ebay for about $90 last year, if you play it right you can get a good deal.
That's way too much for a cluster dude! You should have checked the local salvage yards or better yet the classifieds. There are always people that are parting out cars. I hope that cluster you bought was brand spanking new for $90
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:02 AM   #7
sigep473
Registered Member

Maybe it is for an 82, but around here the yards want well over $100 for a 90-93. A new speedometer alone is a $100 or more if you can even get one.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
Thad
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with my speedometer. It usually only does it at higher speedds. I've been thinking of getting an after market gage but would rather it be on the cluster set. Try doing a search in this forum, there mmight have been some info posted in the past about this problem already.
good luck
thad
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #9
sigep473
Registered Member

I have tried looking throughout the forum but havbe not had any luck. I guess I will have to take it over to my mechanic next week and have him look at it to see if there is something that I did wrong or missed. I am clueless on this one, but it never fails I always end up beaking something else on the car in the process of fixing the main problem.