MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default How to test for leaks with nitrous bottle? Any recalls on bottles?

i think my bottle has aleak in it at the nozzle end. How do i test to see if it does. i just filled it up and tightened her down good. I did not hear any leak coming from the bottle end, or under the hood. How do i test it effectively? Also, someone told me that thes NOS bottles are notorious for leaking. and said that it may have a recall on it! has anyone ever heard about this? Thanks for replies!
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

hey man, i have a zex bottle, and it did leak on me one time. im not too sure about the nos bottles, but my bottle has a hard plastic o-ring to seal between the bottle neck and the valve. I had some guy at the track fill it up, and he said it blew the o-ring. i was pissed because i only had it filled once before. i emptied it completely and checked the o-ring, it looked fine. i placed it back in there, tightened it up, and it hasnt given me a prob since. one way to test it besides just listening could be weighing it if you dont have a pressure guage. put it on a digital scale , then weigh it again later. good luck bro - John
Old 10-08-2002, 04:51 PM   #3
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

thanks john- all ive done so far is hook it back up, tighten it real good. maybe i wont use it for a few weeks and see if it has lost any weight. I will lose some NOS when closing the valve again and disconnecting, btu should that affect significantly how much pressure is in there?
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 10-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

it shouldnt lose enough pressure that you wouldnt be able to tell if you have a leak or not. another thing you could do is wet the rim of the bottle and look for bubbling, kinda like what you would do to find the hole in a bike tire tube. forgot to mention that on the last post. - John
Old 10-08-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
PKRWUD

What he said. Pretty much submerge it under water.

Kinda funny, though. The only leak I ever had was from a bad solenoid, and it left lightning-bolt shaped streaks of ice! Kinda hard to miss!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:49 PM   #6
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

very strange- i just tried to use it and nothing happened at all. i heard a click (the solenoid i guess) but nothing happened. Im going to try to connect the two wires to the fpss and see if it works then. if it does, then i need a new switch i think!

ill try the submerging in water as well! thanks

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 10-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
Agent_4573
Registered Member

if there is a leak you should be able to see the ice crystals form wherever its leaking....
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:46 AM   #8
5000cc
Registered Member

Default leaking nitrous

Check underneath the car where you run the nitrous line, mine was leaking from the line which very easy to spot because nitrous is very cold you can see from outside the line where it's leak. If you are not going to use nitrous for more than couple days, I would shut off the bottle because no matter how tight you think you shut everything off the gas will try to escape and usually they'd find their way outta there.
93 Lx coupe,125 shots wet system,BBK headers,pully,ported performer intake,24 lbs,short belt,Headman x pipe,mac catback,upr blue thunder shifter,73 mm mass air,k&n panel filter,king cobra cluth, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 gears, cobra tranny, welds 15/6 on front and 15/10 rear.
5000cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:20 AM   #9
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

yeah you should always turn off your bottle and clear the lines whenever you are done using it, taking the pressure off the seals and solenoids greatly decreases the chances of a future problem. John
Old 10-09-2002, 09:18 PM   #10
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

thanks for all replies. I actually bypassed the fuel pressure safety switch and it worked. that tells me that i have a bad fpss. ( i know the fuel pressure is adequete from prior tests). i have not seen any ice build up. very strange, maybe i didnt tighten it enough before and it leaked out very slowly. this system is less than 6 months old! do you think i can send back the fpss and get a new one for free?

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 10-10-2002, 11:26 AM   #11
5000cc
Registered Member

yessss!!
93 Lx coupe,125 shots wet system,BBK headers,pully,ported performer intake,24 lbs,short belt,Headman x pipe,mac catback,upr blue thunder shifter,73 mm mass air,k&n panel filter,king cobra cluth, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 gears, cobra tranny, welds 15/6 on front and 15/10 rear.
5000cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:16 PM   #12
gol10dr
Registered Member

Do something I used to do when I worked at a Paintball Shop and had to test bottles for leaks. Spray a liberal amount of windex on the bottle and where you suspect the leak is. It will bubble up severly if you have a tiny leak..

Gol10dr
gol10dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:17 AM   #13
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

thanks again, i am going to call up NOS and wait for about 30 minutes long distance, then probably get the run-around about not being able to return it. well see. i dont think i have the receipt anymore. they should take it back though (i hope). i dont want to bypass the fpss forever!

75 shot of nitrous!