MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
FiveORacer
Registered Member

Post 289 cylinder head on 5.0L????

I saw an article on using early 289 cylinder heads on a 5.0. These heads don't have the thermactor bumps in them and have a much smaller combustion chamber.

Since I have 2 sets of these heads and no cash for anything else, I was wondering what pushrods and rocker arms I use with my roller cam. Do I use the 5.0 stuff?? The stinkin article didn't use a roller!

Has anyone done this? I'm looking for better sound with a cam that I already have. Next year I'll go with better heads; this is just for the sound this season when we cruise into the ice cream stand parking lot.

Thanks for any help!
FiveORacer
FiveORacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
84stangLX

the combustion chamber volume of those early heads is ALOT smaller than late model heads (like 54cc's compared to 62) so you'll have some crazy compression, and there's no thermactor inlet in the back of the heads as well as thermactor bumps in the exhaust, but you can easily bypass the smog pump. Another thing you'll have to do is get some sort of pushrod length tool (i believe many camshaft companies offer a pushrod length tool) and take it from there. You may or may not have to change pushrods because i don't know if the geometry or height changes when you use the rail type rocker arms of the early heads. You'll probably end up having to pay alot for gas and retard the timing becuase i think those heads will give you over 10.5:1 compression, probably near 11:1. I'm just talking out of my @ss on this, but i'm sure there's at least one person who's done this on this site. Good luck man!
Old 05-16-2001, 04:02 PM   #3
FiveORacer
Registered Member

Anyone?

Thanks
FiveORacer
FiveORacer is offline   Reply With Quote