MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default driveshaft safety loop install?

Hey guys. I've had a new Competition Engineering driveshaft safety loop lying around for a couple of years now. I really need to put it on. I'm going to the track at the end of this month, so I'm wanting to put it in before then. How difficult is it? And do I have to drill completely new holes through the floor board to mount it? Or are there any existing holes underneath there that the kit might use? The instructions are not of much help. Any info. would be great.

Thanks-
Simi
Old 02-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

There are no pre-drilled holes in the floor board. Be sure to check where your rear seat mounts. I dont know that it will be an issue at all, the car I put one in didnt have a rear seat. My coupe has a rear seat but Im a ways away from re-installing the drive shaft loop in it. Just look for a good place to mount the kit relatively close to the rear of the driveshaft as there is not predetermined spot.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
87BOSS351C
Registered Member

You may want to check with your track on where to locate the loop. It is my understanding that the loop is supposed to be within 6 inches of the FRONT u-joint, not the rear. If you break a front u-joint the driveshaft would drop and dig into the track and could pole vault your car at high speeds. For the longest time I thought they went to the rear also. It is best to check the rules first so you get it right the first time.
"and some other stuff"

Rice Haters Club Member #124
87BOSS351C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I know nothing of the rules, but it makes sense to have it in the front... it the rear U broke, it would drag, but it wouldnt be a big deal... if the front broke, like 87 said, it'd be gouging out the track and could possibly catch and send your car flying... and as much fun as that may be, the landing wont be too much fun.
-as
Old 02-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
Coupe Devil

Ya know. Pole Vaulting the car on the big end of the track would suck.. I guess I need to look at where I install it on the coupe when I do it huh?

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default driveshaft loop

Thanks for the input guys. So no one knows for sure then...where the loop should be positioned?? In relation to the front u-joints? Anyone have a NHRA rulebook? Some of you guys have to be running driveshaft loops right? Where is yours located exactly? And what all did the installation entail?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I'm pretty sure it is within 4" of the front U-joint. It is definitlely the front though and I had to drill holes under the front seats.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

NHRA rules General Regulations section 2:4.

.....all cars in competition using open driveshafts must have a retainer loop 360 degrees of enclosure, 1/4 inch minimum thickness and 2 inches wide, or 7/8-inch x .065-inch welded steel tubing, securely mounted and located within 6 inches of the front universal joint for support of the driveshaft in event of U-joint failure.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
429mustang
Registered Member

CHUNKYFUNKY, if the front of the driveshaft broke, it's still attached to the rear and would keep spinning as long as the car was moving, the front of the driveshaft would hit the ground and fly sideways while spinning, probably going under your rear tires and tearing apart your rearend and any other parts around it. It could also drop down and catch on the ground which would either polevault the rear of the car or push the rearend backwards and out from under your car. If the rear of the driveshaft broke, it could possibly catch on something or bang around under your car (you could push in the clutch or put it in nutreul and it would stop spinning and just drag) but it would probably fall out pretty quick. I'd definitely rather lose some trans fluid as apposed to a rear/entire car/life, although I don't know how much fines are for spilling on the track. Anyone know????
I'm not trying to talk sh*t, I figured the loop would be in the back until I thought about it.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #10
autoXaddic
Registered Member

I just bought a loop from Steeda and they sent detailed instructions with the kit. They say 4" behind the front u-joint.
They or I could fax you a copy if you request.
autoXaddic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:09 AM   #11
jimmyjamed
Registered Member

It goes on the front. Besides, the back moves with the suspension. That thing would actually limit rear end up/down movement and do some serious grinding in the process.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:47 PM   #12
429mustang
Registered Member

Nevermind ChunkyFunky, for some reason I thought you said you didn't think it should be in the front. I'm an idiot.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

It's all good.. I've been known to type like a retard... so I'm not surpirsed, what I wrote came across wierd... so I think this thread is settled.. it should be within 4" of the front U joint, for many reasons... and that's that...
-as
Old 02-12-2003, 01:26 PM   #14
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Just checked the rulebook and Andy and 87Boss are right, it is within 6" although it fits quite nicely a little closer (mine is just under 4" away). I've got the lakewood and I was surprised at how well it fit the contour of the floorboard.
If anyone needs one, get the Lakewood one that's mustang specific, don't fight with a universal piece. The Corral has a decent how-to article as well.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #15
Simi Stang

Default driveshaft loop

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate that rule book quote andy669.

autoXaddic- Check you PM. I was hoping to have you fax me those instructions from Steeda.

Thanks-
Simi
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #16
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

New this year for the 1/4 mile track I go to is that all cars that require a driveshaft safety loop, now require a rear safety loop also within 8 inches of the rear u-joint. Try to find local track tech. guides sometimes the're a little different.
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
93 Cobra needs input is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #17
Simi Stang

Default driveshaft loop

Quote:
Originally posted by 93 Cobra needs input
New this year for the 1/4 mile track I go to is that all cars that require a driveshaft safety loop, now require a rear safety loop also within 8 inches of the rear u-joint. Try to find local track tech. guides sometimes the're a little different.
Really? That's crazy. You'd think it would cause clearance problems when you hit a bump and compress or top out your suspension. Thanks though. I'll check it out.