MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Question Smog Pump Problems

When i took my car into emmisions i had failed, but the guy said that it is burning all the fuel but the air is to condensed. When i did my engine rebuild i noticed that when i turned the pump it was easy and didnt really have a suction or stoppy feel to it. I put my hand on the bar that connects to the head and when i spun it really fast no air came out. Could this be the problem with the emisions and it also makes a high whining noise, when i had my car on it sounds like i am running 30psi supercharger! And if so should i go to a junk yard to get one or buy a new one and how much? -Thanks!!!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me any info please?? -thanks
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Have to love the Dyno's we use here dontcha?

Give the test results and the state standards, mabey your not too far off and might just need to tweak your timing or fuel mixture for the test?

If not, theres always Victory auto pirates or The Hub on Rt 83 (10 acre lot )
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:25 AM   #4
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Ha yea the guy that tested my car started out nice but he then took it to around 4500-5000 and shifted it hard it wanted to jump off the damn dyno the guy was a *** about it, yea i replaces the plugs and wires and timed it then it was a bit better but still no go. thanks for the info on where to find the parts!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 AM   #5
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Ok, mabey setting the timing might have improved the emissions output if it had been retarded slightly, but a more advanced timing could generaly result in better readings.

But like I asked, list the HC and CO standards and results, mabey someone could suggest an alternative to get you by (at least till all this rain clears up)
(i.e., for the 92 5.0, Standards are 0.124 grams, I got 0.083, Co standards 0.693, I had 0.512)

Welcome to the land of the "Air Nazi's"

Something tells me if I ever decide to slip a 347 stroker or a 460 block, Ill have to make a "Quick swap" setup so I can toss my 5.0 in for the annual test... But you didnt hear me say that...

In any event, if your nearby and decide to do the junk yard parst route, id suggest
Hub Auto Parts & Wreckers 630-323-5865 9900 Rt 83 Hinsdale IL 60522. Most everything is pre-pulled and well stocked. (I.E. I went there on a whim looking for an exhaust manifold for an old 72' Coronet and had one in my hands in less than 10 minutes without phoning ahead)

if thats not close enough to you, check this list out

http://www.gy.com/biz/441320/630.htm

HUGE list of Parts sources in Illinois (God I love google)

Last edited by FritzDaKat; 05-07-2003 at 07:58 AM..
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Yea i think i am just going to buy a new pump this one squeals and dosent work so thanks for he help i will try and post the info. later toady