MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2001, 05:09 AM   #1
Tony91LX
Registered Member

Angry Accel 5.8L Distributor HELP!

I have a 95 lightning short block and I am using an Accel 5.8L EFI Distributor P/N 60204A with an ARP Oil Pump Drive Shaft P/N 154-7901. The problem I am having is that I can’t get the distributor to seat properly in the block I have about ¼ in to go and no matter what I try it won’t go down.

I am going to call Accel and Holocomb motorsports today, has any one heard of this problem?

Thanks,
Tony91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:17 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

If you read the article at this site called "No replacement for Displacement" it covers this issue. I have no idea why it is, but you have to grind off that 1/4" from the bottom of your distributor shaft. I had to with my 351W swap. You should be able to take a Dremel tool with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel and cut it right off. Then smooth out the edges. I think I also had to cut a little off of the oil pump shaft, too. The end that goes into the bottom of the distributor shaft.

I just had a thought, though. Before you do any cutting, try placing the distributor in without the oil pump shaft. If it fits, it's probably that the oil pump shaft may just need to be shorter. I hope that's not the case. I don't remember if I even checked this when I did it. It's one of those things that I read it and just did what it said to do.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:19 AM   #3
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I did read that, I was hopeing I did not have to cut my new distributer.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2001, 02:20 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Do me a favor and let me know if the distributor fits without the oil pump shaft. I'm curious about that. It would be nice to know if I ever decide to get a new distributor, too.

Thanks.

------------------
Old 06-12-2001, 03:43 PM   #5
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I used a stock shaft I thing it would be fine, I don't think cutting the pump shaft would be a good idea I would want as much contact with in the oil pump and distributer as possible. Cutting the distributer dosn't limit the contact area cutting the shaft will.

I was on Bennent Racing web site they even say it not uncommon to have to trim the distributer, even the guys at Holocomb Motorsport said the same thing.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
DirtKing
Registered Member

the problem occurs when you use the arp shaft which has a larger diameter body. The stock shaft does not have this problem (but is not quite as strong). I really wouldn't worry about the aftermarket shaft, after all, the stock 302 is 1/4 inch....351 is 5/16 so it's stronger than the 302 already.

------------------
88LX notch, Speedpro EFI Procharged!
DirtKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:02 AM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

If you have to trim the distributor it will be likely that you have to trim the pump shaft, too. I'm only talking about removing the taper at the end of the shaft, not any of the actual contact area. You'll see what I mean when you get to it. If you don't, that's even better.

------------------
Old 06-13-2001, 03:01 PM   #8
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I trimed less then a 1/4" off the end of distributor shaft and it worked nicely.

The distributor fit when installed with out the oil pump shaft, so if I went with a stock shaft it would of worked.

I didn't get to start it, that tonight I hope.