MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Default Key programming question

Hi,

I just got off the phone with a dealer about getting a second key made for my car. (I bought my car used and it only came with one key.)

The dealer said it would be $60 with programming. (He said 22 for the key itself.)

I asked him if I could just program it myself with the method outlined in the owners manual, and save myself 38 dollars.

He said no, that the 8x on/off method in the manual only works if you have two keys already and are adding a third.

Is this correct? Can you not reprogram a second key by yourself if you only have one to start with ?

Thanks for any help,

xto
XTheOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

thats a crock of zhit i had one key to i bought another and it worked fine using the instructions in the manual you can add up to 8 keys to your car he jus wants to make more money off of you dealers suck azz
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

forgot to mention though the key you have has to be a master key that opens all locks and starts the car for this to work
Old 06-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Crudballs.

I got ripped then.

I had the factory key that says "Ford" on it and opened and started everything fine. I read on a website about PATS II, and it also said you needed two keys, so I figured the dealer was tellin the truth.

Are you sure about only needin one good key to add another?

Thanks,

xto

P.S., I called two other dealerships who offered to reprogram my system, one for 80 and one for 100 bucks, so I guess it coulda been worse.....
Old 06-10-2003, 01:38 AM   #5
ac97gt
Registered Member

i wish i would have read the owners manual last week i paid the $57 at the dealership to have a spare key made. it was fast and easy (about an hour) and i think similar price, 22 for key, 33 for programming, or something. i guess i got ripped oh well.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Does anyone else have input on this? If I can get proof of some sort that you can program a second key having ONLY ONE original factory key to start with, I'm going to ask the dealer for a refund.

(They are a large reputable dealer and seemed very fair, its possible they were also misinformed.)

Doens't hurt to ask anyway....

Thanks,

xto
Old 06-13-2003, 01:11 AM   #7
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i`m just telling you my experinace with my key. when i bought my car it worked for me i don`t really have any proof i just followed the instructions in the owners manual .if we could not do it ourselfs why would they have printed it in the manual.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
XTheOwl
Registered Member

The owners manual says you have to have two original keys to program a third.

I only had one original.

xto
Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 PM   #9
ac97gt
Registered Member

i did a little research for you on the web, and found these http://www.1-800-pdq-keys.com/news.htm and http://hometown.aol.com/ablelocks/page1.html ... both of them agree that "With PATS I, as long as you have at least one working key and can read the owners manual that came with the vehicle, you've got a good shot at programming your new key without additional assistance." and "With PATS II, things become a little more difficult. Someone decided that two working keys be required for admittance to the programming show." So it depends on which PATS system you have. It seems that PATS I was used in 96-97, and PATS II was used from 98+. The second link towards the top has a list of cars and which they have, so you can be sure. I think I remember you saying you have an `00, which would mean PATS II, two keys needed, to answer your question. Hope this helps!

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:10 PM   #10
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

On-Board Programming Method "C"
for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)

If you want to initiate a new master key....
1. This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).

If you want to add a key....
**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

Pre 98' you only needed one key, post 98'you need both.

BTW, you should go to the dealer who sold you the car and demand that they provide you with a spare key. IMO

Good Luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC

Last edited by Red Mustang Gt 46; 06-13-2003 at 06:28 PM..
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote