MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
89stanger
Registered Member

Default professional products?

Has anyone heard of the Professional products intake for our cars. Much more reasonable in price than the Trick Flow. Apparently good in the 1500 to 65oo rpm range. I'm thinking cam upgrade needed too?
Any thoughts?
http://www.professional-products.com/
89stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Yea, I heard of them. They are like the generic for the Edelbrock line. I seen alot of there stuff for the Chevy end though. I am surprised that they havn't been sued yet! What ever you see that Edelbrock has to offer, they come out with the same thing but polished and cheaper.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
89stanger
Registered Member

They looked eerily like Edelbrock....

Think their performance claims are accurate?

One source says 28H.P. over stock (they do make mention of a 70mm throttle body...hmmm...
Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I have one on my car and I absolutely love it.

It is a cheap knockoff of the Edelbrock Performer RPM, but for us low budget guys, its great. The only problem I saw with it is the finish. Its not nearly as smooth inside or out as the real deal, but thats an easy fix. I spent about 30minutes with a cartrige roll on a die grinder to clean up and smooth out the runners, and did a little porting while I was at it.

I had an Explorer/Cobra intake on there before and this one seems to pull harder up in the higher RPM's without sacrificing any low end.

I picked mine up for $300 from Steve Moberly at Street Fly http://www.streetfly.com/ I met up with him at an NMRA race so I didn't have to pay shipping too

I don't think he has it listed on the website, but give him a call.

anywho, I highly reccomend this intake for the budget minded guys out there
Old 12-24-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
89stanger
Registered Member

That's what I wanted to hear!
Old 12-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89stanger
They looked eerily like Edelbrock....

Think their performance claims are accurate?

One source says 28H.P. over stock (they do make mention of a 70mm throttle body...hmmm...
Hey if your pinching pennies then go for it. A couple of my chevy friends say theres no difference in power between Edelbrock any professional products. So there claims are probably accurate. If you can afford the money I would go with the TFS. If you want minimal headaches get it all from the same place. Don't go here and there to save a couple of bucks, because of down the road there is a problem, then they are going to be blaming the other stores.
If you want to go fast (and easy) then get everything from Summit. TFS heads and intake with there stage one cam from TFS. The easiest thing to do and great tech support.
Now don't get me wrong there are better combos and better cams and such, but that also takes somebody who really knows there shyte. You can also buy your stuff from other speed shops, just get it all from them.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

I hope I didn't confuse you, it's just that after awhile you know what works for you and what doesn't. Once you feel comfortable you can start mixing parts from other brands to make even more power. Don't necessarily trust the kid behind the counter to build your car. Do some research (books and magazines) first because then you will know why you did something and why you didn't.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
fiveohpatrol

The TFS intakes are a joke IMO, too expensive for marginal performance.

The typhoon intake was HIGHLY reccomended by Rick Anderson himself, because it flows almost identical numbers to the actual RPM intake, which has proven itself time and time again to be one of the best naturally aspirated intakes period.

I agree that getting your stuff from summit will save SOME headaches, but when you're working with parts that you're building a racecar with, you can't exactly expect a warranty.
Don't get me wrong though, I buy as much stuff as I can from Summit, they're great.

Slap this intake on a set of TFS or AFR165's and throw in a mild TFS stage 1 or 2 in there, and you've got a very strong street car capable of running very low 12's if not 11's with the right suspension and driver.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
420nitro
Registered Member

I agree, I just stated that if he wanted to keep it real simple then he can get everything from summit which included the tfs intake.
Not to say you couldn't save a couple of bucks on the other intakes though.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Oh yea, I also didn't mean "having problems" by the means of a warrant issue. I ment it towards technical.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
89stanger
Registered Member

You're right about the research, Nitro.

I'm at the information gathering stage right now and I'mm happy that I seem to be asking the right questions. I'm definitely that much further ahead listening to you, FiveO and the others who've responded to this thread.

Oh, and don't worry about confusing me. The good part about all this is that I can save all the info and refer back to it when I need to know specifics. Keep it coming!

The Edelbrock website is next!
Old 12-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
fiveohpatrol

Quote:
Oh yea, I also didn't mean "having problems" by the means of a warrant issue. I ment it towards technical.
Yeah, I completely agree with that. Summit has an amazing technical staff on hand. I am always suprised at how much they know just off the top of their heads. Although I'm sure they've got technical manuals all over the place, but even so, its great to have them there.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:35 PM   #13
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89stanger
You're right about the research, Nitro.

I'm at the information gathering stage right now and I'mm happy that I seem to be asking the right questions. I'm definitely that much further ahead listening to you, FiveO and the others who've responded to this thread.

Oh, and don't worry about confusing me. The good part about all this is that I can save all the info and refer back to it when I need to know specifics. Keep it coming!

The Edelbrock website is next!
Cool
Good Luck
Old 12-24-2003, 05:37 PM   #14
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
Yeah, I completely agree with that. Summit has an amazing technical staff on hand. I am always suprised at how much they know just off the top of their heads. Although I'm sure they've got technical manuals all over the place, but even so, its great to have them there.
Yea, not like Rick Anderson!!!! lol
Old 12-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #15
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 420nitro
Yea, not like Rick Anderson!!!! lol
That sounds bad,.....I ment that, try to get a hold of Rick at 5-6 in the evening for help.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #16
fiveohpatrol

Quote:
That sounds bad,.....I ment that, try to get a hold of Rick at 5-6 in the evening for help.
lol, thats true. but if you saw his shop, you would realize why he doesn't have tech available 24-7 like summit
Anderson Ford Motorsport is nothing more than a division of a Ford car dealership, with a performance parts counter and a dyno, but I like the guy, and he's very knowledgable.
But one thing is, he sure doesn't like to share info with you unless you are a paying customer

anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, back to the intake talk....
Old 12-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #17
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
lol, thats true. but if you saw his shop, you would realize why he doesn't have tech available 24-7 like summit
Anderson Ford Motorsport is nothing more than a division of a Ford car dealership, with a performance parts counter and a dyno, but I like the guy, and he's very knowledgable.
But one thing is, he sure doesn't like to share info with you unless you are a paying customer

anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, back to the intake talk....
I know Rick, shyte he's the one who got me hooked. I am about two hours away from Ricks shop. He races his car at my local track. I have spent thousands of dollars with Rick and yea, I know he is a very busy person. I even used to have his own brother Ron do all of my head work! But hey customer service is more important to me then anything!!!!!!!!!That's way I deal with Panhandle Performance now. It's a shame that I could go down the road a little bit instead of driving across the country but hey like I said, customer service is worth everthing to me!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #18
fiveohpatrol

I hear ya 100%

Have you ever been to Anderson's customer appreciation day? Thats one thing that I really like about him, kinda giving a little back to his customers (who have spent thousands of dollars with him, like you and me )
Old 12-24-2003, 11:40 PM   #19
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
I hear ya 100%

Have you ever been to Anderson's customer appreciation day? Thats one thing that I really like about him, kinda giving a little back to his customers (who have spent thousands of dollars with him, like you and me )
Last time I was there was back in 1993 or 1994. Since then I have been with Panhandle Performance, so going to his customer appreciation day would be weird. It all started with Rick trying to sell me a Crane 2040 instead of an E-303. He claim they're were different cams but we all know the truth. lol Then it got worse from there. Then I wanted to go the nitrous route and we all know about the vortech and clean power!!! We kind of had a falling out after that but my friends still kept close ties with Ron for all their porting needs. Rick is a very intelligent man, he knows his stuff!!! It's just I went a different way about making power which he didn't want anything to do with. I am certain he doesn't remember me now or the time I was spending all that money with him. It's cool, it's only business.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #20
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

*Butts in, on topic*

Another vote for the PPI. I wouldn't put it box stock onto my engine, but after spending a couple hours grinding and cleaning it actually looked pretty good. The $100 extra for the polished finished was worth it's weight in gold too!

*Butts back out*

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote