MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
whitepony
Registered Member

Default car dies when pushing the gas pedal?

ok this is my set up. F-cam,65 thb,ported stock intake,stock shaved heads and ported, underdrives. timing is set at 14

now this is what is happening when i start the car its hard to start it wants to but doesn't for about 5 turn overs, and then when it does i just tap the gas and it dies even if i try and feather it it will die but not all the time sumtimes it wont do it but then all of a sudden it will do it.
anything would help anything iam getting sick of it.
thanks mike and i have a holley 190 fuel pump, would it be my fpr? or timing not advanced enough?
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Did it all of a sudden start happening one day or after you changed something?
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
pedley
Registered Member

Default thanks

i changed the fuel filter and then it started to happen ( i made sure it was on the right way twice), could it be my timming or maybe when i hit the gas its putting way to much in there all at once ??
anything will help thanks
-mike
and about the pedley and whitpony thing its that i have to logins
pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by pedley
i changed the fuel filter and then it started to happen ( i made sure it was on the right way twice), could it be my timming or maybe when i hit the gas its putting way to much in there all at once ??
anything will help thanks
-mike
and about the pedley and whitpony thing its that i have to logins
It's possiable that you got a defective fuel filter or got something in the lines while changing the filter. I would replace the filter and try flushing the lines to make sure that it's clean. Then move on to the next thing.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
whitepony
Registered Member

Default flush the lines!!??

ok i'll try that but how do i flush the lines? i have never done that before. and if that dont work what do you think tyhe next thing would be to do ??

thanks
-mike
Old 01-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: flush the lines!!??

Quote:
Originally posted by whitepony
ok i'll try that but how do i flush the lines? i have never done that before. and if that dont work what do you think tyhe next thing would be to do ??

thanks
-mike
The easiest way is to disconnect the fuel line at the rail and have it point to a bucket. Have someone turn the key on to power the pump and let it pour into the bucket for a couple of seconds. Then connect the lines and repeat. Then diconnect again and repeat for a second time. Then put your new fuel filter on. While doing this have the filter bypass with a strong rubber fuel hose. If you dont see the fuel come out constantly then you either still have shyte in the lines or a bad pump.
XXXX
You can also take the return line off at the tank if it is any easier for you and put a rubber hose unto it for extention to the bucket.
XXXXX
Good luck

After that, if your still having problems you can check the TPS and see if it is working properly. Better yet check that before you disconnect the lines.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
whitepony
Registered Member

Default tps?

ok i know where the tps unit is but i forget how to check it is it a volt meter and the power goes to the green and black goes to black (ground) and then losen the two screws and turn it to the left or right? , to get what .9 and what should the volt meter be set on when doing this?
thanks
- mike
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: tps?

Quote:
ok i know where the tps unit is but i forget how to check it is it a volt meter and the power goes to the green and black goes to black (ground) and then losen the two screws and turn it to the left or right? , to get what .9 and what should the volt meter be set on when doing this?
thanks
- mike
The volt meter should be set to DC current. Key on/engine off. But go though the range off motion (open the throttle) to make sure there is not a break in the ciruit.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
whitepony
Registered Member

ok thanks so everything else i saaid on how to set the tps is right i take it?!?
THANKS
-mike
Old 01-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
ok thanks so everything else i saaid on how to set the tps is right i take it?!?
THANKS
-mike
it sounds right, except for the color wire. Black is ground and the other color is either orange green. Check both I don't remember.