MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-01-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Jason1320
Registered Member

Default Almost broke it!!!

I just want to throw this small warning out to any one who installs the Steeda tri-ax shifter and uses the stop bolts. Make sure these are as tight as you can possibly get them. I say this because after setting mine I tightend the lock nut, but not tight enough I guess. After about a week the vibrations from my stang caused the nut to loosen and the bolt to turn. The end result, I was on the freeway with no 2nd 4th or reverse. Lucky for me I had my tools in the car and was able to pull over and fix the problem. For my own sanity I removed the bolts completely. I don't want that to ever happen again.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Jason:

Couple of things. First, sorry that you had that problem. As a Tri-Ax owner, I will double check my stop bolts soons for tightness. I believe all the popular after market shifters use these. I assume that your bolts loosened and turned inward thereby not allowing you to move the shifter the full way. When I set mine, I backed them off further then what the directions indicated to avoid this problem. But I suppose that if they get loose, it won't matter where you set them.

The stop bots are there to prevent over-extending the shifter, right? Are you worried about the possibility of having the opposite problem? Well, at least you had 1st, 3rd, and 5th. I shift like that lots of times anyway (lol).

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Those bolts prevent you from overshifting and breaking a shift fork. Just put the bolts back in with a little lock-tight.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Those bolts prevent you from overshifting and breaking a shift fork. Just put the bolts back in with a little lock-tight.

I 2nd

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163

I agree. Thats what I did and have had trouble free use for 3 years.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote