MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Twist on acceleration

Hello all - Just a simple question - Now that the car is on the road (finally) I have noticed when I hit the gas hard, the car wants to swerve to the right and I have a hard time keeping it straight. I would like to think there is too much power (LOL) but I think it is just poor design. I also noticed that the front end raises on the right quite a bit due to the torque from the rear wheels. Being on a tight budget - what is the best option to help correct this. I was considering sub frame connectors and rear anti sway bars. Do you think these will help eliminate the problem??? Has anyone had this same problem? A new steering box in in the plans to help get a tighter, quicker steering ratio
Thanks!
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Everyone?

Everyone wishes for that "problem", LOL. When large amounts of torque are applied to the rear axle, the right rear of the chassis drops unloading that tire. That takes traction off the right rear tire spinning it hard. The left front rises due this same phenomenon.

This does twist the frame out of shape some depending on torque emminating from the engiine, torque convertor, tranny, and rear end.

The torque dispensed to the rear wheel with more traction is only about 50% as apposed to the spinning tire with limited -slip, posi, Tsaction-lock axles..

The twisting of the frame and unloading of the right rear tire causes the the car (with good power) to go sideways when thbe car is launched with with lots of wheel spin in a car with limited slip rear axle.

I know that this is counter intuitive, but this is exaxctly what happens.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: