MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

Default 87 Mustang Color theme

Hey guys, i was just wondering what you guys thought about this. Im buying new gt ground effects for the car in the future, along with the stormin normen hood. So i thought about painting the ground effects a silver color with matallic flakes, and the rest of the car a deep red with metallic flakes, The other thing im thinking of doing is painting the ram air part of the hood silver and making my own Paint patteren that fits with the fenders... kinda like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side flag look.jpg (5.1 KB, 53 views)
1988 mustang gt t-top svo alum. Heads, comp cam rockers, e303 cam, Mass air, BBK cold air induction, BBK throttle body, gt-40 intake 1 inch spacer, Alum. drive shaft, world class 5 speed, 3.55 gear rear end, drag front springs.
PowerSlideGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
stanger9219
Registered Member

Doing the 2 tone, red on grey is pretty cool, but I think it looks more custom to paint the whole car one color that isnt a factory option. For example, I have a cobra R hood and Im going to be getting the cervinis 4-piece body kit and painting it all emerald green. Its the stock color but the GT's with this color only came with 2-tone green on grey, which makes it look unique compared to other mustangs. But its your car, do what you think is cool not what other people do. Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

So im trying to understand. What your saying is that instead of doing what i said, then to lets say for example, Paint the ground effects black, and the norman hood black, along with black head lights and black fog lights, Kinda like that, or the same combo with silver.
1988 mustang gt t-top svo alum. Heads, comp cam rockers, e303 cam, Mass air, BBK cold air induction, BBK throttle body, gt-40 intake 1 inch spacer, Alum. drive shaft, world class 5 speed, 3.55 gear rear end, drag front springs.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

don't paint the effects.

Just paint the whole car dark red and do the silver over the hood and down the side.

Painted effects are cira 1988

Just my opinion though.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

Paint the whole car jet black! It looks so much meaner and yet elegant at the same time. Whenever I scape up enough $$$, I'm gonna get her painted black and do away with the 2 tone. Black is the easiest to maintain color. If anything compromises a spot, touching it back up is a sinch since black is black.

Just my humble opinion!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Black is the easiest to maintain color.
You sir are a nut bag.

I will NEVER owe another black car again. I could look at it wrong and it would get another swirl mark. It looks cool when it's new. But after a few years it looks like crap.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 04-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

What do you guys thing about a dark red, with metallic flackes, and my hood design and side desin in metallic silver?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
crazypete
Registered Member

Quote:
I will NEVER owe another black car again. I could look at it wrong and it would get another swirl mark. It looks cool when it's new. But after a few years it looks like crap.

Dude!! Thats what black magic tire silicone is for. Spray the whole car and use it like wax! It eats up all the swirls and scratches and makes your car......

_ABSOLUTELY_....._POSITIVELY_....GLEAM!!!!

It's doubly ridiculous on a black car and gleams twice as much! Plus your car smells like a dealership showroom!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 04-30-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
stanger9219
Registered Member

powerslide....No offense, but here in St. louis every mustang owner and their mom has a mach1 or stormin normin hood. I almost got one until I went through a Sonic and these three kids were up there with three different fox mustangs, and they all had the same hood.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

None taken, I really dont perfer that hood ither, but its the only ram air hood that actually is functional.... atleast its all i can find... if you know where another one is at tell me.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
tireburner163

Quote:
Dude!! Thats what black magic tire silicone is for. Spray the whole car and use it like wax! It eats up all the swirls and scratches and makes your car......

_ABSOLUTELY_....._POSITIVELY_....GLEAM!!!!

It's doubly ridiculous on a black car and gleams twice as much! Plus your car smells like a dealership showroom!
WTF, that's a retarded idea. That CAN'T be good for the paint. Not to mention it's gonna attract dust and dirt like a magnet.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 05-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #12
crazypete
Registered Member

You, my dear sir, are right! It does indeed attract dirt like a magnet unless you buff the hell out of the paint.

I've siliconed every car I've had for like 9 1/2 years and never has it ever taken off even a flake. The solvents in the pump bottle stuff are weak. It does remove tree sap like crazy though (for us poor college students who are forced to park outside in the elements).

Memories of my first "beater" mustang.... It was half red, 1/4 grey and 1/4 bondo. Poor thing had been mistreated. I poured my love into it but I had no $$$ at the time, being only in highschool. I was forced to spray paint it SLOWLY and meticulously, sanding with 1000 grit inbetween coats. It looked half decent without a single sag or anything but it wasnt a deep gloss (obviously) until I siliconed it. Then, it looked like it had just rolled out of a paintbooth. I attached a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang.jpg (42.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #13
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

Hey guys, what could i do to make my paint job look better? Its oxidized, and im low on cash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87 mustang mini.jpg (20.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #14
crazypete
Registered Member

Well, you could probably pick up black pieces (In good condition) to match you hood from the local 'yard'. Black side skirts and a black gt wing will run you a few pennies, easy to swap in and it will look like a theme of red/black. Thats the budget approach
Old 05-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #15
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
I've siliconed every car I've had for like 9 1/2 years and never has it ever taken off even a flake.
Wouldn't the silicone act as a filler and hide the swirls temporarily? Silicone has no abbrasive attributes so it will not remove the swirls. It will only hide them until the silicone wears down/off. Once that happens, your swirls will be back unless you apply another coat of silicone.

I'd rather use a mild abbrasive (if necessary) and maintain the paint the proper way to avoid introducing new swirls into it.

And Tireburner is right, black is a PITA to keep clean but when it's clean, there's nothing that can compare to the shine, depth, and clarity....see avatar for proof.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 AM   #16
crazypete
Registered Member

The reason I used silicone is because with wax, if you have any impefections in the paint, they will just SCREAM out at you as a big white splotch. In addition, wax wont help your vinyl and plastic trim to look any better. Petroleum products, on the other hand, darken scratches and make them blend into the overall background (especially if the car is black). Silicone your plastic side mirrors and see the difference! The plastic will have a deep rich sheen.

Some @ss keyed my old lx and I walked up to the big white scratch and spread a little used engine oil on it. The scratch just disappeared. You could barely see it even if you knew where to look!

Mild abrasvie? Wont that take the surface gloss off the paint?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #17
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Most waxes have NO abbrasive qualities so they will not hide or fill swirls, scratches, or spider webbing. The idea with wax is to use it LAST after the scratches have been removed. Ideally, you would use a clay bar, then a mild abbrasive (if the scratches cannot be removed with a 'cleaner'), then a cleaner, then a polish/wax. By the time you are ready to apply the wax, your paint surface should be extremely smooth (like glass) and swirl/scratch free.

A mild abbrasive will remove some of the clear coat which is what the 'surface gloss' is, so yes you are partially correct in your assumtion but their shouldn't be any loss of gloss of shine. Here's the thing though....when you have swirls and scratches in your paint, they are really scratches/swirls in the clear coat, therefore you have to remove some of the clear coat to effectively 'remove' the scratches. Understand? I can't think of a better way to describe it right now. You have to bring the clear coat down to the level of the scratches. If you don't use a product that has some cutting ability, all your doing is filling the scratches in to bring them level with the clear coat....so they seem removed but they are only filled in temporarily. When the filler wears down, the scratches will be visable again.

Most people don't need a heavy or even moderate abbrasive. Most can get away with using something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover followed by a cleaner then their polish/wax. 3M SMR is a mild abbrasive that can be applied by hand with some good results. I know alot of people run and hide when they hear the word abbrasive but they can be very useful in removing scratches and most abbrasives are very very mild and are only meant to remove mild scratches/swirls.

BTW: Wax is not meant for vinyl or plastic trim. It is meant for automotive paint.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote