MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
aar0s
Registered Member

Angry broke door handle

my outer door handle broke! how do i change it?
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

It must be the stock black plastic one. This is an easy job, really. From the inside of the door, remove the plastic around the latch (one screw). Remove the screw holding the window controls and door lock controls. There are two bolts holding the armrest in place. I think it takes a 10mm socket but not sure. Then, you can remove the whole door panel. Pry with a screwdriver all around the edges (mostly the latch side and the bottom) to remove the christmas tree fasteners from the door. You should be able to pull the door panel away from the door itself on the sides and at the bottom. Then you can pull straight up on the door panel to separate it from the door. You will have to fish your window controls out of its pocket too. Look to where the outside latch is (inside the door). If it has never been replaced, it is riveted in place. You have to drill those out. Get some 1/4-20 bolts and nuts to replace with. Or you can get some rivets if you had rather have them. Personally, I hate rivets for this job. Once, you get the rivets drilled out, you should be able to take the door handle out. There is a tab with a plastic bushing where the rod attaches to the handle. This is most likely what broke. Look inside the door, near where the handle was. There is a rod that sticks up and probably has the other part of your door handle on it. Pull the old tab off of the rod. Now with your new handle, insert the rod into the tab and then reinstall the handle and then your door panel. Go to Autozone and get your door handle, it is like $10 -$15 for the chrome one. You can get black if you want, but it will only break again. This is a 30 minute job with everything you need to install it. But it is a 2 hour job the first time. I am sure I left something out, but that is the most of it.

I assume this is your 88GT?

One more thing, if you get the "HELP" door handle in chrome, it comes with bolts. If my memory serves correctly.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

Get chrome handles off a cougar. They are the same except in metal. Looks sharp too! Failing that, get your new replacements, flip them over and abserve the terrible design. There are 2 pins that hold the handle to the frame. Get some epoxy and fill in the area around these pins and make sure to keep flexing the handle so you dont epoxy your handles into the closed position. This adds worlds of strength. Then do as suggested above.

Hope this helps!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote