MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default can u mount an MSD upside down?

i just mounted an MSD 6a under my fender near the stock airbox inlet. it came out awesome but didnt run the wiring yet. now i look at the MSD instructions and it says u can't mount upside down because moisture cannot escape. my unit has the top sticker facing down, so I guess thats considered upside down. does anyone have theirs mounted like this? will the MSD build up moisture and leave me dead on the road?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Re: can u mount an MSD upside down?

Why not just mount it right side up....and not worry about it??
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
Why not just mount it right side up....and not worry about it??
cuz i already spent 4 hours in 95 degree sun and mounted it upside down not knowing any better
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

The hard part should be done. Just take out the 4 mounting screws, flip it over and reinstall it right side up. Don't forget the rubber mounting grommets!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
USMC302
Registered Member

Highly encouraged not to if your mounting it in the engine compartment and will be washing the car or driving in rain. The circuit board for the box is in the top ( in reference to the label) if it gets even the littlest bit of water in there your done. MSD does not recommend it. Not like it's going to be ok if you get water in it while it's right side up, but your chances are better. If it's in the glove box or in the car, go for it.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

jester to do that i'm gonna need some really long screws but i guess its possible. i mounted it on a layer of rubber and then onto an aluminum rectangular base for support.

USMC- i was told that i could run into problems if installed in the car if i run all the wires through the same hole in the firewall. they will interfere with each other. is this true? i wanted to avoid running through the firewall if i can and i think the only place to mount is under a seat. MSD recommends installing it as close as possible to the coil and says NOT to mount in the glovebox. i guess cuz of heat.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
USMC302
Registered Member

You can cut a seperate hole and use it just for the MSD, I did it with a 95 S/C car, we mounted the ignition and BTM on the passenger side floorboard right under the radio on the left side, never had any problems except for the ignorant MF who stole it that thought they were amps for a radio. ( stole them and the radio and the Cd's, left the tach and gauges ). They do get hot but your not rubbing them all day either, and they don't get to a point were they are heating up the inside of the car either. We didn't put it directly on the carpet either, we cut a small peice of plywood and painted it and put MSD stickers on it and then bolted the rubber and screws to the board after screwing the board into the floorboard. People thought the board was from MSD as well, lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoPop
USMC- i was told that i could run into problems if installed in the car if i run all the wires through the same hole in the firewall. they will interfere with each other. is this true? i wanted to avoid running through the firewall if i can and i think the only place to mount is under a seat. MSD recommends installing it as close as possible to the coil and says NOT to mount in the glovebox. i guess cuz of heat.
I don't see how running the wires through exisiting holes in the firewall would interfere with the other wires that are there. I don't think you'd have a problem. Can't water splash up into the fenderwell & drench your MSD when driving in the rain or going through a puddle though?

Last edited by Simi Stang; 08-08-2005 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi Stang
I don't see how running the wires through exisiting holes in the firewall would interfere with the other wires that are there. I don't think you'd have a problem. Can't water splash up into the fenderwell & drench your MSD when driving in the rain or going through a puddle though?
it is mounted there the stock airbox gets in air but even further up. how can water possibly get up there? wouldn't the stock ait intake always be sucking in water than?

so does everyone agree that it can't be left upside down?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
mustangibew
mustangibew

Mine is upside down on a daily driver and have had it in there for 3 years and no problems.It also is right between the cold air intake and the MAS.

Check profile to see my homepage where pic's of my car are at. Also have old dyno sheet on page 2
mustangibew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoPop
it is mounted there the stock airbox gets in air but even further up. how can water possibly get up there? wouldn't the stock ait intake always be sucking in water than?

so does everyone agree that it can't be left upside down?
Yeah, I guess it doesn't have anymore chance of getting wet where you have it as opposed to being in the engine compartment really. I think going through a big puddle could still throw water up there though. And no, the stock intake wouldn't always be sucking in water, because the little bit that might be able to get up there would be stopped by the air silencer, or if removed...the air filter. You get a little water on the electronics of that ignition & you may have some trouble. I'd still mount it right side up though, especially if MSD recommends it.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
USMC302
Registered Member

[QUOTE= especially if MSD recommends it.[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm saying.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

MOST of your higher end cars have the boxes mounted inside, on the passenger's side floor, or brackets mounted on the roll cage. Makes "chip swaps" nice and easy.

Mine in mounted in the engine compartment, driver's side, on the inner fender behind the headlight. That's where my coil is also. I understand you guys have more "stuff" in the engine bay, but that spot has worked WELL for me. It's right side up, and stays nice and dry.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote