MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2001, 01:31 PM   #1
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

Post Noisy Fuel Injectors?

I have been hearing this ticking noise from under my hood for a few months and it has been getting a little louder every week. I finally checked the header gaskets thinking they might be leaking. Replaced the gaskets and fired it up. Still heard the sound. Upon closer inspection, I can definitely hear the noise coming from the fuel injectors. They are ticking kinda loud. They are FMS 24lb. Does anyone elses make a loud ticking noise, especially when the engine is idling? The noise goes away above approx 2200 rpm's. My initial thought is this: I still have the original fuel pump and am wondering if it overworked the injectors? They have been installed for approx 23,000 miles and maybe that is all I can expect? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,
Adam

------------------
1993 Conv. LX 5.0, Air in the tires, Fuel in the tank, Put the top down, Floor it till it breaks!
LfiveohX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 04:29 PM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

Might be valvetrain noise. I recently developed a tick also. It sounds like it's coming from the injectors but it is most likely eminating from uder the valve covers. You can use a long screwdriver, metal tip to the rocker cover, other end to your ear, and go up and down the covers to pinpoint the noise. Or as PKRWUD recommends, use a length of heater hose or fuel line. Good luck. My engine guy recommended on my next oil change, to drop some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the motor. He thinks if it's a stuck lifter, that will help free it up. If not, it'll wait til the heads or intake come off.
Let us know!

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 10:01 PM   #3
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

Todd95GT - Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't think that it is valvetrain noise though. We used the stethescope (spelling?)and there is no noise from the valve covers, it is definitely from the injectors. I am installing my new fuel pump (255lph) and Aeromotive billit adjustable regulator tomorrow at work. (It is so nice working at a Ford service department!)Then I'll have the injectors flushed, clean the throttle body, decarbonize the engine, change the spark plugs (they've got approx 25,00 hard driven miles on them) and then see what happens. I'll let everyone know tomorrow what the result is. I really want to get it figured out by friday night. I want to go to Fontana's dragstrip saturday morning and try it all out.
Adam

------------------
1993 Conv. LX 5.0, Air in the tires, Fuel in the tank, Put the top down, Floor it till it breaks!
Old 10-03-2001, 10:26 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I have the same problem, i definately hear it from the injectors, i recently run some stp injector cleaner through, but no luck, im thinking the 20w-50 oil im using is too heavy also. keep this posted so i know what to try, im guessing the stock fuel pump and fpr isnt quite up to parr.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 10:59 PM   #5
PKRWUD

LfiveohX-
Where do you work?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:20 AM   #6
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

PKRWUD - I am a service writer at Vista Ford in Oxnard. I've worked there since June of last year - about 1 month after they opened. Stop by sometime
Later!
Adam

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 11:21 AM   #7
PKRWUD

Adam-
What do you guys charge to do a motorvac on a 4.9 F150? I'd really like to have my injectors cleaned, and that's the best way I know of.

Service writer, huh? You're either the most respected or the most hated by the techs! I will stop by sometime, but until then, give me a quote for a motorvac.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 10-04-2001, 11:51 AM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

All right. What the hell is a motorvac? You stick a huge vacuum cleaner in the TB and suck it out or what

My engine has carbon built up in the intake and I assume the pistons are coated too from when it was running rich. I noticed you said something about decarbonizing the engine. Is that what a motorvac is and how much does that cost?

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 12:13 PM   #9
PKRWUD

I have never used one, but have heard about them from my professional peers. It is a fairly pricey tool that sucks the crap out of your injectors. Exactly how it works, I do not know. I know that injector cleaning additives are a pure waste of money, and that a Motorvac is supposed to be the only method of cleaning injectors that really works. prior to the Motorvac, injectors weren't cleaned, they were replaced. Don't be fooled by the ad in the paper for the corner garage saying they'll clean your injectors for $29.95. They're ripping you off. A Motorvac is big bucks, and in order to pay for these, the cost of service often approaches half the cost of new injectors.

Or just use your Hoover.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 10-04-2001, 12:16 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Lightbulb

Here ya go:
http://www.motorvac.com/Consumer%20Section/carbon.htm

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet