MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default Stutters at full throttle, ?????HELP

The questions actually for my other car, my astrovan with a 355 smallblock, but I figured maybe someone would have an idea. When I floor it and start to take off it goes but way slower than usual and starts spuddering (sounds likethumping/ backfiring). I don't understand cause the plugs still look good after driving like this for almost a week. It's slow as sh*t now, I took apart the carb (edelbrock 600) and reset the floats and checked the plugs/distributor and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Anyone have any ideas? The fuel filter/lines are clear, and also, my oil pressure shows it's usually around 20 then drops to 0 when I slow down, the oil is full and I tried replacing the sending unit and still the same. I know it's a chevy, but any other ideas would be really appreciated.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

try a 700 or 750 carb...
I used to have a 72 Mach1 with a 351C running a 600 edelbrock. And it would run out of fuel, and the motor would bog down and id have to let off and press the gas again. not enough air and fuel for my bog boy!
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
TMAXXjj
Registered Member

And the motor is just about to crap out... If it drops to 0 oil pressure then you need to stop driving it and rebuild it. If you stop soon enough you can just replace bearings and not the crank or cam..
TMAXXjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
429mustang
Registered Member

The thing is I just put all new bearings in last year, the oil pressure problem just started, although when it drops the motor doesn't get any noisier (lifters/knocking/etc) so it makes me think it't the gauge or something electrical. It's weird cause it all happened about the same time a few days ago, everything went to sh*t and even my starter died during the mess (friday). I replaced it and it starts good, the oil pressure looks good at first, then gets all messed up. It feels like the motor isn't running off all the cylinders, the plugs look good though and everything in the ignition is brand new (Accell HEI/wires). I'd like to get a new carb soon, but I don't want to buy some nice Demon and put it on just to have it still be messed up. I'm not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll just go set it on fore, I had a dream the other night it caught on fire and burned all the way down so maybe it's the vans destiny !
Old 07-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
TMASTER
Registered Member

have some drive behind you when your getting on it, see if theres any kinds of smoke... head gasket or something else might be wrong...
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
429mustang
Registered Member

There's no white smoke, a little black but the plugs all looked good, one was a little dirtier than the others but nothing out of the ordinary. Everything in the ignition is ok, each cylinder is getting spark. I checked the sensor with an ohm meter today to see if the gauge was messed up or if the oil pressure was dropping when it said it was, and the ohms did drop to around 0 (I think .6 or around that) when the gauge showed 0 (I waited for the gauge to show zero then unplugged the wire from the sending unit and checked it with the meter). Somehow I have little to no oil pressure all of the sudden, I just put in new bearings last year along with a number of other internal parts which are all probably getting worn now. The only other thing I can think of that might drop oil pressure along with affect how the motor runs would be an excessively lose rocker/rockers (proform roller). They are a little noisy, so I'll check that out in the morning and hopefully one loosened up a bunch. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption? Eithre way, I think I'm gonna see if someone I know can help me get a loan and find a nice 99-02 GT or Cobra for a good price (Black or dark Grey w/ blackor grey interior, hardtop, 5spd), my credit is pretty sh*tty though. I may see if this one guy can find me one at an auction that he buys cars from for his car lot and get me a deal. We'll see, I'll see what I can find tomorrow with my van.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:07 PM   #7
429mustang
Registered Member

I checked out the rockers, one (the dirtier plug) was pretty loose. I tightened it up pretty good, but it seemed like it was bottoming out before I could get it as tight as it's supposed to be. Maybe a lifter broke, it felt like the small cup in the lifter was still there facing up, but who knows. It ran a little better when I started it up, but the oil pressure still dropped after it warmd up and it felt really slow still. I'm pretty much stuck now, the only thing left to do would be tear apart the motor, but I don't have anywhere to do that so basically my life's over. Any other ideas would be appreciated, the only other thing I can think of with the oil pressure would be the pump is messed up, it's a hi-volume (either speed-pro or melling) and I used a new shaft with a metal sleeve. This sucks really bad.